Thursday, August 6, 2009

Playing the Tourist!!












It is funny how we go away to be a tourist and hardly ever attend to the events near our home area!

Well, last night I decided to play the tourist with my grandson and as I had him only for the night and day...had to do things close by.

We started with a moonlight tour of the Wood Islands Lighthouse...it is a museum and a gift shop that my siter, Beverly manages:
http://woodislandslighthouse.com/.

We had a blast...the tour was very informative with snacks and lemonade made the old fashioned way. There was an old fashion kitchen party with guitar and fiddle players and great music. I did forget one thing my camera but hope to get some pictures from my sister of the night.

Today we went to another local attraction that I never visited before...the Glass bottle Village...it was amazing and my grandson was so thrilled by it. The village was built by Garfield Gills of Point Prim..it consists of a church, a general store, a school room, a replica of the Anne of Green Gables house although it is not called that and a Lighthouse! All are made by recycled glass bottles and mortar. These building are amazing and the admission fee is a donation to the Issac Walton Kids Hospital...which is our main hospital for sick children. Many babies are born there each year and survive only because of them.

To round of the day we went to a camp ground near by and my Grandson made some new friends in the pool and we had lunch on the deck with a four legged furry friend!

So the next time you think of a vacation..you may want to check out your local area...I know I will. I am already planning my next outing with grandson.

8 comments:

BeadedTail said...

Great pictures and what a cute little village! Sounds like a fun time playing the tourist! (Is that you in the picture Granny?)

myminimocs said...

looks like you all had a wonderful day - the pictures are great!!!

New England Quilter said...

Cute little buildings! Looks like a fun day!
Amy

Valerie said...

Wow - what a great place to go. I love the pics inside with the colors beaming through. Hope you have more fun with your grandson!

ByNanasHands said...

Wow, that village was fabulous! I can see why your GS loved it there. I understand completely when you talk about things being right in our area and we never visit those. I went last year with my son, wife and 3 kids to a local "cave"..it was fantastic and only 3 miles from here. I'm so glad you had fun with your grandson...the lighthouse tour sounds like it was very nice to see as well!

Mountainside Crochet said...

What a fun way to spend a day with your grandson. Loved the lighthouse pictures.
Pat

Lisa said...

What a neat place Mona! Thanks for sharing your awesome day with us :)

Rose Ridge Creations said...

Thank you for giving us a glimpse into your world. I love to see how other people live. How we are different, yet still the same in a lot of ways.

Wonderful Quotes to live by!

"Flatter me, and I may not believe you. Criticize me, and I may not like you. Ignore me, and I may not forgive you. Encourage me, and I will not forget you."

~ William Arthur Ward